Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Broken elbow

I'm going to get mine in quick before Melinda's dramatic news. I took Gideon to the orthopedic surgeon today. He cracked a chunk off the end of his elbow, which is in 3 small pieces. Surgery to put it all back together would be complicated and run the risk of damaging the nerve that controls hand movement. We chose the option of putting on a soft cast to see if the damaged pieces would knit back together, which will leave an ugly x-ray but potentially give him more range of motion and protect the nerve. If after 12 days it isn't healing well, surgery remains an option. His arm is splinted in a weird position, palm up and fingers bent toward the palm, in order to keep pressure off the elbow joint. He also has a spectacular bruise that is a very deep burgundy and runs from wrist to mid-bicep. Other than, the prognosis looks good. I am sooooo grateful to live in a place where medical care is so easy to get. Thank you Blue Cross!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Wow, that's insane! Hopefully he won't have to have his elbow rebroken like I did my arm!

Hospital! Hospital!

Melinda said...

Ouch! I hope he heals well!

Scuba Steve said...

Hospital... Hospital...