On Saturday, the lights at our home were out for about 5 hours. Gideon & his friend Hayden were at a loss as to what to do, so I threw them outside to do something on such a gorgeous day. They were helping me clean the garage and decided to ride bikes. While coming down the hill (about 5:30 p.m.), they got into a spectacular wipeout. Gideon came into the house mumbling "hospital, hospital." Our paramedic neighbor saw the crash and came over to check it out and said it was probably just a bad sprain. We decided to wait and see how he was in the morning.
In the meantime, our Bishop called from the Mansfield chapel to see if we could bring over some flashlights and lanterns for a baptism scheduled for 6:30. Bishop Kokenes said he thought about postponing it, but then the mission president showed up. I was still dressed in grubby clothes from cleaning the garage and was wandering around the house with a candle trying to find stuff. By the way, it's really hard to match clothes by candlelight I got to the church about 6:20 to find someone parked on the sidewalk with the headlights shining into the relief society room. We had the baptism by flashlight/lantern light. It was a man and his 2 kids that were baptized, and when the daughter, Madison, arose out of the water, the lights dramatically came back on! It was very cool. The not cool part was when we went back to the RS room and as I was leading the singing discovered that it had picked out an olive green shirt to go with my purple and khaki skirt. Oh well.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, CJ & Jared had arrived from their campout in Taos, New Mexico (60 inches of snow and a low of -6). My budding physician diagnosed a broken arm, so we went to a Doc-in-the-box and waited for 2 hours for an x-ray to confirm it. Then we went to CiCi's at 9:30 so our poor starving family could eat.
Today, Gideon's not feeling great b/c he didn't sleep well, but is otherwise okay. We'll go see an orthopedic guy asap for a cast.
I suppose the moral of the story is that maybe virtual reality isn't so bad after all--real reality is dangerous!
Sunday, January 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! That was a crazy day! I hope Gideon is feeling better!
It was so funny to hear Julie and Carrie relay the story yesterday. Especially Gideon's mumbling "Hospital! Hospital!" So hilarious, but sad he broke his arm again!
I will not be surprised to see him with a camouflage-colored cast!
That's cool. Gideon's cast is camouflaged. Anyhow, sorry your day wasn't picture purfect. I am sure that you all will be talking about it for years to come.
Post a Comment