Wednesday, I got up bright and early (you know I love that) and visited the Lions Club. They donated $1,000 for Action Group for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. Last year they gave us $2,000 but that is OK. We just figured we will have to be conservative.
Then today was a busy, hectic, but productive day. While I was out and about, I got a phone call from a man who said he has a store and wanted to know if I was in charge of the toy drive. You always kinda hesitate, because they may just want to chew you out or something. Anyway, he said that eight stores were collecting toys and he wanted to keep them in the community and give them to us. So, he asked me to come over and sign a form (holding them blameless if something is broken or hazardous or has lead paint, etc.).
So my philosophy has pretty much been to do your church stuff first and all else will fall in line. So, I didn’t have a business card with me, so I went home to print some (like James Garner always did on Rockford Files) and a Nativity cohort was parked in the driveway getting together 60 big brown envelopes for me to mail. I knew this would be time consuming, but I took them in and split them into manageable groups, printed return labels and headed for the Post Office. I took the first big box in, staggering through the door because the doors are kinda stiff and there were two (2) clerks with nothing to do - even though there were EIGHT cars parked outside. So, I told them to wait a minute while I got the other box and by the time I got back in, they had picked up my box and were already working on the stuff. I put on return labels while they weighed the envelopes but it still took 30 minutes. (I timed it!) But, it could have taken a whole lot longer.
So then I continued on my way to sign the papers. The manager at Dollar General on Mansfield Highway will donate what he collects and also from several other Dollar Generals so the toys can remain local. I am sure a lot of it will be small items, but we will use them for stocking stuffers.
I guess this is an answer to Connie’s concern about not having money to buy little stuff for the kids and an open window, I believe!
Friday, November 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is so great! I am amazed at what you all do with the action group and the continual doors that are opened. It is awesome!
I think this is one of those cases where the windows of heaven have opened so that you will not be able to contain it all! Very exciting!
Ahhh...blessings! Aren't they wonderful?
Post a Comment